Welcome! Thank you for your interest in Wood Industry Careers!
Here are some resources and information that may be helpful to you:
PDF Booklet from ACTE Career Tech VISION 2022
One-page flyer about YouWood for Educators
YouWood ACTE Infographic
AWI Scholarship Program
AWI Academic Grant Program
NWFA Flooring Installer Apprenticeship
Fresh Wood student woodworking competition
Check out the YouWood career awareness website!
YouWood is an industry-wide website which provides information and resources about careers in wood.
Check out these videos about careers and companies in the wood industry:
Watch other videos about careers in wood manufacturing here!
PowerPoint Presentation: Careers in the Wood Industry (Nov 2021)
PowerPoint Presentation: Careers in Wood Manufacturing (Nov 2020)
Video Presentation from the ASCA “Careers Your Students Should Know” session on Nov 3, 2020:
Industry-Education Connection is Happening in the Wood Industry! Here are some examples…
- Industry Guests “Takeover” a LV High School for MFG day (Oct 2021)
- Industry Rallies to Support Woodworking Teachers and Students During Pandemic (Oct 2020)
- Pennsylvania School Launches Robotics Program with Donation from Ashley Furniture (Sept 2020)
- DOL Approves new “Wood Manufacturing Specialist” Apprenticeship Framework (Aug 2020)
- Woodworking Students Compete in SkillsUSA CA Regional Contests (April 2020)
- Stickley Furniture Will Pay to Train You (Dec 2019)
- Madison College Trains 17 New WCA Evaluators in Wisconsin (Oct 2019)
- WSI Machinery Supports Reed-Custer HS Industrial Tech Program (Oct 2019)
- Students Benefit from Casework Company Partnership (Sept 2019)
- New Apprenticeship Program Guarantees $70k Salary Upon Graduation (June 2019)
- Companies Need to Look Toward The MiLL (Sept 2018)
- Gator Millworks Invests in Pittsburg State Wood Technology Program (Sept 2018)
Association of Woodworking & Furnishings Suppliers (AWFS)
We are a national trade association for the wood products manufacturing industry. We are supportive of and focused on industry education. On this page you will find information about resources we have developed, as well as some others available through the industry. We hope you find this information helpful and will share this information with your students, administrators, career counselors, and others!
AWFS Education Resources & Programs (PDF)
Find other AWFS Resources for Educators here
PPT presentations, informational articles on shop machinery and safety, industry careers, and more.
For more information on any of these resources, contact:
Adria Salvatore, AWFS Education & Conference Director
Upcoming Industry Training Opportunities for Teachers:
AWFS Fair and the Teacher Track Seminars
Register Here (free for students and teachers)
SEMINAR PROGRAM WILL BE PUBLISHED Spring 2023
(see previous Teacher Track sessions offered here)
Las Vegas, NV
July 25-28, 2023
LEADING INDUSTRY TRADE SHOW WITH COMPREHENSIVE SEMINAR PROGRAM
Registration will open in 2023
Cue Career Videos
Click on the “career videos” tab to watch student-focused videos of industry professionals talking about various careers in wood products manufacturing.
Woodwork Career Alliance (WCA)
- Industry tool-based skill certification program.
- High school students can earn the Sawblade Certificate.
- Recognized by CA Department of Ed as a industry certification.
Watch the webinar on Implementing WCA in the Classroom
The MiLL (Manufacturing Industry Learning Labs)
National Training Center
- Launched in August 2017
- Over 100 high school students currently enrolled; capacity for 500 students per day in 50,000 sq ft facility
- Offers training opportunities for high school, post secondary, industry, and veterans
- Dual enrollment and articulation for high school students with local community college
- 100+ industry partners provide state of the art technology and equipment
Explore this website: WoodIndustryEd.org
This is a resource web site developed by AWFS, consisting of education and training information for the wood manufacturing and related industries. Appropriate for educators, students, industry professionals and those seeking career and skill enhancement information, it contains a searchable database of schools, colleges, technical centers and companies that offer a wealth of education and skill enhancement programs – from short courses to graduate degrees, from hand-crafted to high tech. There are also listings of scholarships, awards and competitions; trade organizations and events; as well as job listing links and a blog.
Wood Industry Resource Collaborative (WIRC)
A coalition of wood industry associations have gathered to address the skilled workforce gap and strengthen industry awareness. A national industry-wide career awareness campaign launched in Jan 2021: YouWood.com!
AWFS Fair: July 25-28, 2023 in Las Vegas, NV
This is a “Top 100” biennial international trade show, with over 600 exhibitors (woodworking machinery and supply manufacturers) and 15,000+ attendees (wood products manufacturers) in 300,000 sq ft of exhibit space.
- TEACHER AND STUDENT SHOW REGISTRATION IS $0! SEMINAR REGISTRATION IS $10 EACH!
- College of Woodworking Knowledge (CWWK) Educational Seminar Program, including Teacher Track Seminars: in 2019, topics included shop safety, funding your program, how to market your program, design-build instruction, and CAD for woodworking. The 2023 seminar information will be available in Spring 2023.
- Industry-Education Networking mixer – opportunity to connect directly with industry professionals interested in working with schools (info coming soon)
- Education Town Hall – learn about the leading post secondary woodworking programs across the U.S. (info coming soon)
2023 Fresh Wood Student Woodworking Competition:
- Open to high school and post secondary
- Entry deadline May 1, 2023
- FREE to enter
- Cash prizes
- Students build a project and submit photos
AWFS, WMMA, WMIA Support CTE, Perkins Funding, Workforce Development
Career Technical Education (CTE) was the focus of the 2018 Wood Industry DC fly-in. We met with dozens of legislative offices to express our support for CTE programs and reauthorization of CTE’s primary federal funding source, the Perkins Act. Upon passage of the Perkins Act in 2018, AWFS focused advocacy efforts on apprenticeships and other work-based learning legislation, including the PARTNERS Act and the JOBS act in 2019.
Society of Wood Manufacturing (SWM) Fosters Wood Industry-Education Partnerships in Southern California
SWM supports SkillsUSA CA regional and state events, MFG Day events, and other projects and activities to help school programs. Join today for free!
“Meet the New Face of Manufacturing” Campaign poster and videos
“Meet the New Face of Manufacturing” is a comprehensive marketing effort to acquaint and interest young people in careers in wood products manufacturing. We want to convey the reality of 21st century manufacturing – it is modern, high-tech, offers varied and challenging careers and is ready to welcome the next generational workforce. The campaign launched in Fall 2014 with a poster showcasing five “New Faces” of manufacturing and in September 2015, an updated poster image was unveiled with more “New Faces”, highlighting the variety of personalities and lifestyles available for those seeking careers in wood products manufacturing.
For a FREE copy of the “New Faces” poster, which contain a QR code linking to this
page of resources, send a request to email@example.com (include your name, mailing address, and quantity). Please share this with career counselors, parents, school administrators, industry partners, or others who guide students in career choices.
Watch the “Meet the New Face of Manufacturing” Videos
…and learn about eleven outstanding young professionals in the wood products manufacturing industry!