Design It Digital Student Competition Winners Announced in Virtual Ceremony
- On 28 Aug 2020
- By Adria
The Association of Woodworking & Furnishings Suppliers® (AWFS®) announced the winners of its Design It Digital (DID) student CAD competition during a virtual awards ceremony on Thursday, August 27, 2020.
The winners of the 2020 Design It Digital Competition are:
- 1st Place Middle School/High School: Barn Bunkbed by Theodore Tran, Mark Keppel High School, Alhambra, CA (Instructor Paul Lam)
- 2nd Place Middle School/High School: Lincoln Logs Bunk Bed by Caden Bialow, Princeton Day School, Princeton, NJ (Instructor Chris Maher)
- 3rd Place Middle School/High School: Noah’s Ark by Nikhil Gandhi, Princeton Day School, Princeton, NJ (Instructor Chris Maher)
- 1st Place Post Secondary: Fish Hive by Patrick Duckett, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, GA (Instructor Craig Smith)
- 2nd Place Post Secondary: Universus Bunk Bed by Vladimir Hernandez, Harold Washington College, City College of Chicago, Chicago, IL (Instructor Ivanhoe Tejeda)
- 3rd Place Post Secondary: Sleepy Science Bunk Beds by Nicole Seman, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, MA (Instructor Diane Brancazio)
DID is a Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) competition open to students in North America. In the contest, students are presented three hypothetical scenarios in which a client is asking for a custom piece of furniture. Students choose their favorite client project and design a solution using CAD and rendering software. They also estimate project materials, labor hours, and hardware costs to calculate the price of their creation and make sure it falls within budget. Students then create a project presentation board and upload it to the DID contest website for judging.